To: "Bill Manning" <bmanning@ISI.EDU>, "Matt Crawford" <crawdad@fnal.gov>
Cc: <ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com>, <namedroppers@ops.ietf.org>, <ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com>, <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: "JIM R FLEMING" <JimFleming@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 05:56:19 -0500
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Joint DNSEXT & NGTRANS summary

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Manning" <bmanning@ISI.EDU>
To: "Matt Crawford" <crawdad@fnal.gov>
Cc: <ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com>; <namedroppers@ops.ietf.org>;
<ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com>; <dnsop@cafax.se>
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2001 5:18 AM

> % There was a lot of discussion, culminating with a "hum" on the
> % following four choices:
> %
> % 1. Deploy A6 in full panoply, synthesize AAAA for transition period
> % 2. Deploy A6 conservatively ("A6 0"), synthesize as above
> % 3. Reclassify A6 as experimental, use AAAA for production
> % 4. Reclasify A6 as historic, use AAAA for production.
>
> I took a (perhaps) stricter view on these four choices:
>
> 1) A6 stays on Stds track, syth AAAA when needed, AAAA is
>    depricated
> 2) A6 stays on Stds track, tempered by a recommendation to
>    operationally use A6 0.
> 3) Leave AAAA on Stds track, move A6 to experimental.
> 4) Move A6 to historic, leave AAAA on Stds track.
>

> % The relative volumes of the hum seemed to be 3 > 2 > 1 > 4, by all
> % accounts.  There was quite obviously no consensus (i.e., unanimity)
> % or rough consensus (in the usual IETF sense of near-unanimity).  It
> % could not even be concluded that the loudest hum represented a
> % majority of those voicing an opinion.
>
> That was my impression as well.
>

> --bill

You might first want to first define "production".

When one talks about "production services", I assume they are at a minimum
talking about IPv16-Compliant equipment. (i.e. Carrier-Grade, NEBS,
24", -48vDC,Fault-Tolerant LANs,1000/100/10 Ethernets)
http://www.dot-biz.com/IPv16/

Jim Fleming
Why gamble with a .BIZ Lottery? Start a real .BIZ Today !
http://www.DOT-BIZ.com
http://www.BIZ.Registry
0:212 - BIZ World

Home | Date list | Subject list