To: ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org, ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: "D. J. Bernstein" <djb@cr.yp.to>
Date: 29 Jul 2001 13:57:07 -0000
Automatic-Legal-Notices: Copyright 2001, D. J. Bernstein. My transmission of this message to you does not constitute a copyright waiver or any other limitation of my rights, even if you have told me otherwise.
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Re: NGtrans - DNSext joint meeting, call for participation

Robert Elz writes:
> The data needs to be somehow carried to the key (which cannot be
> exposed anywhere near any network), the signing done, and then the
> data carried back again.   Doing that once a month for most people
> just might be tolerable - once a day and all that will ever exist are
> expired signatures.

How, pray tell, do you expect a large site to sign its DNS records, if
it has access to its signing key only twelve times a year?

This is even worse than ``wait a month for old records to go away.'' It
also means ``wait a month for new records to appear.'' Do you seriously
believe that administrators and users will tolerate this?

---Dan

Home | Date list | Subject list