To: "D. J. Bernstein" <djb@cr.yp.to>
Cc: ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org, ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Matt Crawford <crawdad@fnal.gov>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 14:17:35 -0500
Sender: crawdad@gungnir.fnal.gov
Subject: Re: NGtrans - DNSext joint meeting, call for participation

> ``Administrators normally insist on being able to change their records
> with at most a few days notice,'' my web page says, as a starting point
> for analyzing the expiration-date security issues.

Yes, it does indeed say that.  It has to say it, because imposing
that ad-hoc restriction is necessary in order to drive to the
conclusion you want.  Bu tthat doesn't make it so, especially when
different records record information with clearly different
volatility.

> Matt Crawford writes:
> > then the signatures on the A6 records covering interface identifiers
> > and subnets can be valid for a long time,
>
> No, they cannot, because that would allow an attacker to interfere with
> updates. This is the security issue analyzed on my web page.

No, it is not analyzed.  What you assert is true, but you have not
explored the ramifications.

Home | Date list | Subject list