To: Bruce Campbell <bruce.campbell@apnic.net>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Olaf Kolkman <OKolkman@ripe.net>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 09:49:16 +0200
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Should a nameserver know about itself?

Hi Bruce,

 Bruce Campbell <bruce.campbell@apnic.net> writes:
 *
 * For those that aren't familar with our DNS operations, we manage in an
 * automated fashion the reverse delegations for the Asia Pacific Region.
 *

I know :-)

 * Is the assumption that a nameserver should have information about itself
 * correct?
 *

No, a nameserver can have a name or an address that is in a zone for
which it is not authoritative.  In other words the place where zone
data is published is independent from the zone data itself.

--Olaf

  Olaf M. Kolkman      |  RIPE NCC DISI project
  RIPE NCC             |  Phone:   +31 20 535 4444
  Singel 258           |  Fax:     +31 20 535 4445
  1016 AB Amsterdam    |  http://www.ripe.net/disi
  The Netherlands      |  OKolkman@ripe.net

Home | Date list | Subject list