To: Mats Dufberg <dufberg@nic-se.se>
cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Cathy Murphy <cathym@arin.net>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 13:14:40 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Should a nameserver know about itself?

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Mats Dufberg wrote:

> On Wed, 9 May 2001, Cathy Murphy wrote:
>
> > > And note, while rare, it is entirely possible for an in-addr.arpa
> > > delegation to require glue A records.
> >
> > When would this ever happen?
>
> If the name of the nameserver belongs to the delegated zone:
>
> 3.247.212.in-addr.arpa.   NS   nameserver.3.247.212.in-addr.arpa.
> nameserver.3.247.212.in-addr.arpa. A 1.2.3.4

Yes, I understand what a glue record is, but I don't see the likelihood of
ICANN/IANA creating nameservers in the in-addr.arpa domain. At least, to
date, it has not happened that I am aware. So, unless IANA does this, any
nameservers delegated in the in-addr.arpa zone would not require glue A
records. Theoretically possible? Yes. Rare? That implies that it happens.
In the meantime, I was wondering what a realistic example would be. [Not
trying to be argumentative, just covering the bases.]

-Cathy

Home | Date list | Subject list