To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: bert hubert <ahu@ds9a.nl>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 15:32:15 +0200
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Avoiding outages during (large) zone reload [was: Re: gTLD server losses]

On Sun, May 06, 2001 at 02:46:55PM +0200, Simon Leinen wrote:

> * Have a dual/cluster setup, and while one box is reloading its
>   zone(s), the IP address is routed to the other one.  This seems easy
>   enough and improves robustness in other areas as well.

As the GTLD servers are, reportedly, behind Alteon Acedirectors, this seems
likely. I would be hesistant to assume that the GTLD servers consist of only
two boxes each, though.

> * Implement authoritative servers as front-ends to the registry
>   database.  Seems challenging to implement well with traditional
>   slave servers.  And moving to non-traditional slaves (e.g. multiple
>   front-ends to (mirrored versions of) a single database) doesn't
>   sound trivial either.

If you have the right software, it is trivial.

Regards,

bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com      Versatile DNS Services
Trilab                       The Technology People

Home | Date list | Subject list