To: <namedroppers@local.reachin.com>
cc: <dnsop@cafax.se>, <registry@OBOL-NET.NET>
From: Mats Dufberg <dufberg@nic-se.se>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 21:07:58 +0200 (CEST)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Strange behavior from resolvers?

On Tue, 3 Apr 2001 namedroppers@local.reachin.com wrote:

> > The ns1.obol-net.net is certainly not running bind, so the question
> > remains which nameserver is doing wrong. As far as I can see, bind would
> > return SOA in auhority section for an equevalent request.
>
> I believe the DNS server they are running is Novell's DNS server.  I know
> that their web server is running "NetWare-Enterprise-Web-Server/5.1".

Yes, we have been informed that the the servers, ns{1,2}.obol-net.net are
running Novell 5.0 and 5.1, respectively (or the other way around).

> As Eric has just pointed out (as I was writing this), this tells BIND (and
> DJBDNS) "I do not have this answer, but the answer can be found at my
> nameserver".

I tested a server which I think is an NT (non-bind) server, which permits
recursion. It accepts the respons from the Novell server without SERVFAIL:

; <<>> DiG 2.2 <<>> @ns1.ballou.se ns1.obol-net.net mx
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa ra; Ques: 1, Ans: 0, Auth: 2, Addit: 2
;; QUESTIONS:
;;      ns1.obol-net.net, type = MX, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY RECORDS:
obol-net.net.   86400   NS      ns2.obol-net.net.
obol-net.net.   86400   NS      ns1.obol-net.net.

Mats

Mats Dufberg                                     +46-8-545 857 06
dufberg@nic-se.se                           fax: +46-8-545 857 29

Home | Date list | Subject list