To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: "Casey S. Ajalat" <cajalat@genuity.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 07:17:35 -0500
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: draft-ietf-dnsop-hardie-shared-root-server-04.txt

I would like to comment on the draft recently submitted.  Let me first say
that I commend you on drafting such document to formalizing certain
existing practices.  I do believe that publicizing such methods is a great
contribution to the net community.  Also, I've read some of the historical
threads on this document (very interesting) and I'll spare the group from
re-addressing those :)  Also, I realize that I'm jumping in the tail end of
discussions that are dating back to 1999 so please only take what I have to
say as constructive suggestions and through out what you don't like.

comments inline below...

At 10:01 PM 3/26/2001, IETF Mail Server wrote:
>1. Architecture
>
>1.1 Server Requirements
>
>   Operators of authoritative name servers may wish to refer to [1] and
>   [2] for general guidance on appropriate practice for authoritative
>   name servers.  In addition to proper configuration as a standard
>   authoritative name server, each of the hosts participating in a
>   shared-unicast system should be configured with two network

I would like to suggest referencing RFC 1546 which addresses in great
detail the use of anycasting.  RFC 1546 does not in anyway suggest use of
anycasting for DNS.  Searching through the archives I didn't see any
reference in any discussion on RFC 1546 and how it directly relates to this
draft.  This draft does address a specific use of anycast and thus not
conflict with anything RFC 1546 suggests but rather a way to capitalize on
anycasting.  Therefore, I would recommend amending

"shared-unicast system"

"anycasted DNS resolvers [3]"

and placing a reference to RFC 1546 in the reference section below.

>   interfaces.  These interfaces may be either two physical interfaces
>   or one physical interface mapped to two logical interfaces.  One of
>   the network interfaces should use the IPv4 shared unicast address
>   associated with the authoritative name server.  The other interface,
>   referred to as the administrative interface below, should use a
>   distinct IPv4 address specific to that host.  The host should
>   respond to DNS queries only on the shared-unicast interface.  In
>   order to provide the most consistent set of responses from the mesh
>   of anycast hosts, it is good practice to limit responses on that
>   interface to zones for which the host is authoritative.

I see that we use the term "shared-unicast" and I saw roughly where that
direction took place while reading the archives.  I think an already
established term is "anycast" as seen in RFC 1546.  So instead of
shared-unicast would it be too much of a problem if we used
"anycast"?  Afterall, that is what is exactly what we're doing.

>1.2 Zone file delivery

[SNIP]

1.3 Synchronization

[SNIP]

>1.4 Server Placement

[SNIP]

>1.5 Routing
>
>   The organization administering the mesh of servers sharing a unicast
>   address must have an autonomous system number and speak BGP to its
>   peers.  To those peers, the organization announces a route to the
>   network containing the shared-unicast address of the name server.
>   The organization's border routers must then deliver the traffic
>   destined for the name server to the nearest instantiation.  Routing

I would like to suggest including a section on routing methods.  You
mention in this last sentence that it is up to the organization to route
the traffic in an appropriate manner to the anycasted address.  Use of
anycast for DNS is not new.  I know that several large organization
including my own (Genuity) have been using this technique for years
now.  But what hasn't been addressed is the method for doing so and the
advantages/disadvantages experienced as a result of the chosen method.  If
we go into detail in section 1.3 to address good practice techniques for
synchronization of DNS servers then it would make perfect sense to go into
the same level of detail for "routing" approprirately within the AS for the
anycasted addresses.  I therefore suggest adding sections 1.5.1 and 1.5.2
below.

>   to the administrative interfaces for the servers can use the normal
>   routing methods for the administering organization.
>
>   One potential problem with using shared unicast addresses is that
>   routers forwarding traffic to them may have more than one available
>   route, and those routes may, in fact, reach different instances of
>   the shared unicast address.  Because UDP is self-contained, UDP
>   traffic from a single source reaching different instances presents
>   no problem.  TCP traffic, in contrast, may fail or present
>   unworkable performance characteristics in a limited set of
>   circumstances.  For split-destination failures to occur, the router
>   forwarding the traffic must both have equal cost routes to the two
>   different instances and use a load sharing algorithm which does
>   per-packet rather than per-destination load sharing.

This section assumes that an IGP such as OSPF is used.  If BGP is used
internally then this problem doesn't really happen.  i.e. in OSPF when two
equal cost paths are presented then the OSPF will load share on a
per-destination basis.  One needs to go out of their way to configure
per-packet load balancing.  Though per packet load balancing is not a
recommended practice for a larger ISP, this can still occur and thus the
validity of this section.  In BGP, regardless of the cost, BGP will choose
a "best" path for a given destination and will not load balance.  In OSPF
or BGP (or ISIS) the routing table will only contain one route while the
route data base will contain metrics for all possible routes to a given
anycasted address.  Also, RFC 1546 does go into some of the ramifications
for using this technique for a state-full protocol (I personally like the
last sentence in that RFC :)

>   Four things mitigate the severity of this problem.  The first is
>   that UDP is a fairly high proportion of the query traffic to name
>   servers.  The second is that the aim of this proposal is to
>   diversify topological placement; for most users, this means that the
>   coordination of placement will ensure that new instances of a name
>   server will be at a significantly different cost metric from

I don't think the significance of the difference is as important as the
mere difference.  i.e. two routes to an anycasted address costing 1 and
1000 respectively have the identical effect with costs of 999 and
1000.  The arithmetic difference is insignificant.  But the fact that they
are different is significant.  I believe this is what you might be
suggesting so maybe changing this sentence around a bit can make the
point.  i.e. I suggest changing the statement to something such as:

...will ensure that new instances of a name server will be at a different
cost metric from....

>   existing instances.  Some set of users may end up in the middle, but
>   that should be relatively rare.

Again, this will only occur when OSPF is used (not sure of ISIS).  If BGP
is used then BGP will just pick a best and always route to that destination
even if the cost is identical.  There is a difference between a route in
the route table and the routing data base.

[SNIP]

I recommend adding the following sections:

1.5.1 Static Routing
   Each upstream router from each of the anycasted servers can announce a
static route that is redistributed within the AS's routing tables as a more
specific route (potentially a host route).  However, failures of the server
must be reflected into the network by constantly monitoring the server and
acting upon server failure in either a manual method or an automated
method.  Inherent DNS query timeouts will force a requester to query the
secondary authoritative unless a method is implemented for removing the
specific route from the failed server upstream router.

1.5.2 Dynamic Routing
   A method that implements a dynamic routing protocol between the unique
address of the DNS server and its upstream offers a significantly more
resilient method to remedy the failure scenario in 1.5.1.  Typically an
anycasted server participates in an IGP or EGP routing process such that
directly connected routes (i.e. virtual interfaces or second interfaces)
are announced to the neighboring router; in this case the anycasted address
is announced by the DNS server through a participating routing process
(i.e. gated for instance).  Upon failures of the DNS process a simple
removal of the announcement from the anycasted server forces a routing
update to eliminate a route from the IGP/EGP.

>2. Administration

[SNIP]

>6. References
>
>[1] "Selection and Operation of Secondary Name Servers".  R. Elz, R. Bush,
>S Bradner, M. Patton, BCP0016.
>
>[2] "Root Name Server Operational Requirements". R. Bush,
>D. Karrenberg, M. Kosters, R. Plzak, BCP0040.

[3] RFC 1546

>7. Editor's address
>
>    Ted Hardie
>    Equinix, Inc.