To: perry@wasabisystems.com (Perry E. Metzger)
Cc: Mark.Andrews@nominum.com, randy@psg.com (Randy Bush), seamus@bit-net.com (Jim Bound), users@ipv6.org, dnsop@cafax.se (dns op wg), ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com
From: Bill Manning <bmanning@isi.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:41:16 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: IPv6 dns

%
% Mark.Andrews@nominum.com writes:
% > 	The real worry with BIND 4 is that it does not support TCP
% > 	retries.   So as long a mix of A and A6/AAAA records make
% > 	it into the additional section and we don't increase the
% > 	answer section things should be ok.
%
% We could easily just have the roots only reply with AAAA/A6 records
% for themselves when contacted over v6 transport. That should lessen
% the issue for old clients, eh?
%
% --
% Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com
% --
% Quality NetBSD CDs, Support & Service. http://www.wasabisystems.com/
%

That might not be prudent. Unfragmented UDP packet sizes are different
and keeping a mixed A/AAAA bag might have soem trouble fitting into the
LCD packet size.

--
--bill

Home | Date list | Subject list