To: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc: users@ipv6.org, dns op wg <dnsop@cafax.se>, ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, Jim Bound <Jim.Bound@nokia.com>
From: Jim Bound <seamus@bit-net.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 15:03:21 -0500 (EST)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: RE: IPv6 dns

Hi Randy,

> in san diego, we agreed that
>   o ngtrans would write up what the v6 community actually needs/wants
>   o dnsop would then design and write up how to meet that need
>   o the operational community would then do it
>
> but, the chairs of ngtrans have specifically told me that they can see no
> actual need at the present time.  hence, i have not whined at the [dns]ops
> community for help.  please educate me if i am off the track here.
>
> randy

OK I see the disconnect.  Let me try.  3GPP IP trials have already started
and we have serious ISPs about IPv6 like Zama out there and others are
preparing for real IPv6 production deployment in 2001.  This is driven by
some edge and Wireless providers in Europe and Asia.  A sprinkling in the
U.S.  We need to be sure the DNS root servers can support IPv6 RR records
in the near future.

I did not hear the ngtrans folks say they see no need for root DNS servers
ito support IPv6 DNS records, but thats not their call or authority.
Thats the markets call. I will go to the IPv6 Forum where the expertise is
working with the market and deploymennt and ask the question.  But realize
that not all providers, users, vendors, ISVs etc.. of the IPv6 Forum
member body will be able to disclose all public details of their planed
deployment.

I think if the list above is done that will be good and really useful.
I have also asked several of our IPv6 Technical directorate members to
work with Olafur to understand the problem and then we can relate to the
deployment issues in an intelligent manner.

I will conect these folks and myself with you offline.

thanks (we do need these write-ups A.S.A.P..).
/jim

Home | Date list | Subject list