To: Peter Gradwell <peter@gradwell.com>, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Harald Alvestrand <Harald@Alvestrand.no>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 13:33:26 +0100
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: placement of secondary name servers for .uk.

At 08:50 21/11/2000 +0000, Peter Gradwell wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Nominet is the .uk. Domain name Registry and I am part of it's policy advisory
>group. A bunch of people who attempt to say wise things when asked difficult
>questions. We have recently been asked by Nominet to give advice on the
>placement
>of the secondary name servers for the .uk domain name.

2 or so thoughts that don't seem to have surfaced yet:

- nameservers generally get selected on RTT.
   This means that the only benefit of 2 servers within a short RTT of each
   other is redundancy/load balancing.
- the US and EU are close together in RTT. EU and Asia are not.
   Neither is Eastern Europe terribly close to West Europe, for that matter.
- Placing servers *on* exchange LANs is an awful idea, because a cracked
   server there has entirely too much power. Think BGP session stealing.
   Placing one *next to* an exchange LAN is to my mind a Good Thing.

My thoughts....

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, alvestrand@cisco.com
+47 41 44 29 94