To: hardie@equinix.com, kre@munnari.OZ.AU (Robert Elz)
Cc: hardie@equinix.com, dnsop@cafax.se, aroot@ops.ietf.org
From: Harald Alvestrand <Harald@Alvestrand.no>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 22:45:27 +0100
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Single global announcement (Re: Anycast root metrics and analysis)

If read as a physically single point, the single global announcement idea
kills any hope of the anycast scheme benefiting users in smaller ISPs
outside the US.

I still think an anycast AS number needs to be centrally owned and
administered, with monitoring of the global routing tables to detect bogon
announcements, just like a real, normally internally-connected AS would behave.

We might agree.
(and - I think the Right Thing is a Root Server Consortium operating under
ICANN contract, with responsibility for ONE of the addresses, at least at
first, with the rest of the root server set being managed exactly the way
it is today. but we are getting VERY far into politics rather than technology).

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, alvestrand@cisco.com
+47 41 44 29 94

Home | Date list | Subject list