To: "'shane@ripe.net'" <shane@ripe.net>
Cc: "'dnsop@cafax.se'" <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Diana Lane <dblane@wal-mart.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 13:11:21 -0500
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: RE: wrt: draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-00.txt

Shane Kerr wrote:

	> >   Technician: If your reverse DNS doesn't work, my friends on
the 'net
	> >               cannot help us to solve problems, and it _may_ be
that
	> >               we have problems reaching one or two
ill-configured web
	> >               sites out there.
	>
	> and many sites out there check before letting you web to them or
even accept
	> mail from you.

	I don't know about "many".  After all, it is in the recipient's best

	interest to receive mail!  I imagine most customers would be quite
	concerned, and probably switch providers, if they reported that they

	weren't getting certain mails, and the ISP started mumbling about
the
	sender "has incorrectly configured DNS IN-ADDR APRA".  To the
customer,
	this would sound like, "our dilithium crystals aren't aligned".

	If a lot of customers are like some of my relatives, I suspect there
are still quite a few "misaligned dilithium crystals" out there.  That there
are providers who insist on proper IN-ADDR.ARPA mappings, should spur others
to fix their DNS... one would think.

	Here's the list of problems I've noted with incorrectly configured
	IN-ADDR.ARPA:

	1. IRC won't work very well (I don't know about AIM, ICQ, or any of
	those happy new lightweight IRC replacements) - a lot of servers
	require proper IN-ADDR for some reason

	2. You can't download a lot of software with strong encryption, as a

	lot of the sights distributing such software (incorrectly) use your
	source IP to verify you're not trying to download software from one
of
	the 6 or 7 countries the Hill & Mr. Bill don't like

	3. Connecting to some sights takes a bit longer - this is caused by
the
	server at the other end trying to tell you where you're coming from
	(duh), and having to wait for DNS to timeout (e.g. "you are FTP user
13
	of a maximum of 50, connecting from foo.bar.mil")

	Here's another for you:
	4. Exceed (and other remote X clients) does not work (our firewall,
which thinks it has a DNS server, has created many headaches via the
security team this way).  It may not be widely used on the global Internet,
but Internet standards are no longer confined to the Internet, and we may as
well encourage companies to play nicely together.

	That's about it.  I've never noticed e-mail being dropped.

	Shane

Diana Lane

and intended solely for the individual or entity to
whom they are addressed.  If you have received this email
in error destroy it immediately.