To: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>, Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Marc Blanchet <Marc.Blanchet@viagenie.qc.ca>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 10:58:21 -0400
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: wrt: draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-00.txt

At/À 10:11 2000-08-14 -0400, Edward Lewis you wrote/vous écriviez:
>At 2:54 AM -0400 8/13/00, Robert Elz wrote:

>I think it is important that a document specify "good behavior" of a
>well-run and well-configured element of the network (in this case DNS,
>specifically reverse map).  This is important to have so that an ISP can be
>held accountable for failing to provide this service.  (I'm thinking of an
>ISP "playing dumb" to avoid costs, or an ISP that is insufficiently
>prepared to do their job.)

by having a BCP RFC on this subject,
+ a customer of an ISP can:
  - refer to it in the RFP for ISPs
  - refer to it in the written contrat with its ISP
+ media/others/... can:
  - refer to it.

So, even without an enforcement mechanism, a good BCP can be useful.

So I disagree with Robert and agree with Edward.

Marc.

>This document will not give the IETF (whatever *that* is) the legal muscle
>to go to an ISP and shut them down because they aren't running reverse
>maps.  This document should be a resource by which a customer or network
>peer of an ISP can refer when trying to get reverse map service instituted.
>
>So, in that sense, I disagree with the original comment.
>

>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>Edward Lewis                                                NAI Labs
>Phone: +1 443-259-2352                      Email: lewis@tislabs.com
>
>"It takes years of training to know when to do nothing" - Dogbert
>
>Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.

Marc Blanchet
Viagénie inc.
tel: 418-656-9254
http://www.viagenie.qc.ca

Normos (http://www.normos.org): Internet standards portal:
IETF RFC, drafts, IANA, W3C, ATMForum, ISO, ... all in one place.

Home | Date list | Subject list