To: "Robert Elz" <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>, "Stuart Kwan" <skwan@Exchange.Microsoft.com>
Cc: <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: "Cricket Liu" <cricket@acmebw.com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 15:29:55 -0600
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: root server load and dynamic updates.

> Should we be encouraging ISPs to filter DNS traffic of their clients onto
> the net, and require clients to use an ISP provided forwarder (which would
> not forward any update requests) ?   That isn't something I'd like to see,
> but I don't like all these bogus update requests either.

This could be difficult.  There aren't many filters available
that can tell the difference between an OPCODE=QUERY
DNS message and an OPCODE=UPDATE message.  Also,
I don't think pointing a client at a forwarder that is configured
not to forward updates is going to help, given that the
Microsoft and ISC dynamic update routines send updates
directly to the authoritative name servers for the enclosing zone,
not to the resolver's default name server.

cricket

Home | Date list | Subject list