To: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <Harald@Alvestrand.no>
cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Bruce Campbell <bruce.campbell@apnic.net>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 15:08:01 +1000 (EST)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: root server load and dynamic updates.

On Tue, 2 May 2000, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

Harald> At 10:02 26.04.2000 -0700, Eric A. Hall wrote:
Harald> > > I wouldn't advocate breaking the protocol to lessen the pain caused
Harald> > > by broken implementations.
Harald> >
Harald> >Yah, I feel the same way about hacking up a solution like this.
Harald>
Harald> A suitable experiment would be to configure one of the
Harald> major zones with an MNAME pointing to a DNS server that is
Harald> not a listed NS server for the zone, but has plenty of
Harald> instrumentation attached to it to figure out who is doing
Harald> what, and why. (And which logs to a different fileset!)

Hrm.  Laboring a point, the zones maintained by APNIC have the incorrect
MNAME field, as the zones are generated on a machine within RFC1918 space
and then exported out on a weekday basis.

Changing this field to a different host (or a different IP on
ns.apnic.net) presents no operational hazard for the zones that we host.

Harald> If the load stays on the operational root, we know that
Harald> Win2K DDNS is NOT the problem.

As of next reload (~5 minutes), the MNAME field (and only the MNAME, not
the serial) of our zones will refer to a different host.  This will be
left in place for a week to see what appears in the logs of that host.

FYI, the current rate that we are seeing on ns.apnic.net is roughly 1.5
'unauthorised updates' per second, peaking at 6/s over the last week.

Regards,

--
  Bruce Campbell <bruce.campbell@apnic.net>                +61-7-3367-0490
                      Systems Administrator     Regional Internet Registry

Home | Date list | Subject list