To: "Cricket Liu" <cricket@acmebw.com>, "Bruce Campbell" <bruce.campbell@apnic.net>, <dnsop@cafax.se>
Cc: "Levon Esibov" <levone@Exchange.Microsoft.com>
From: "Stuart Kwan" <skwan@Exchange.Microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 08:25:55 -0700
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: RE: root server load and dynamic updates.

Title: RE: root server load and dynamic updates.

In Windows 2000, if the dynamic update client discovers that the enclosing zone is the root zone, it will (by default) NOT send the dynamic update request.

However, if the name of the enclosing zone is at least one label long (ie. "com", "edu", "arpa", etc) the client will send the update request.  The request will be sent to the primary name server that is named in the SOA RR of the zone.

Levon and I would like to help investigate the possibility of Windows 2000's contributing to a load increase.  Who should we contact?

Cheers,
- Stuart