To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: "D. J. Bernstein" <djb@cr.yp.to>
Date: 23 Apr 2000 08:24:17 -0000
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: root server load and dynamic updates.

Why are people blaming the .com overloads on Windows 2000 brainlessness?
Why couldn't the real problem be BIND's server selection strategy
(search for 2000-03-12 in http://cr.yp.to/dnscache/namedroppers.html and
follow the link), or increasing use of out-of-zone NS records, or lower
TTLs at some extremely popular sites, or a poor attempt at resource
exhaustion, or some confused piece of software other than Windows 2000,
or simply the continuing growth of the Internet?

Bad .com performance bothers me, but it doesn't bother me as much as
uninformed speculation. I'd like to see some measurements of how the
.com servers are actually spending their resources.

---Dan

Home | Date list | Subject list