To: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
Cc: lewis@tislabs.com (Edward Lewis), dnsop@cafax.se
From: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 12:03:36 -0400
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Off-tree validation

At 11:53 AM -0400 4/13/00, Masataka Ohta wrote:
>The answer can be: secured, not secured or unknown (because of server
>failure or DoS).

Depends on which side you are looking at the problem from.

From the zone side there are two states: secured and unsecured.
From the resolver side there are three states: secures, unsecured, and not
sure.

I have been writing from the zone point of view.

>That is, as I pointed it out from the beginning, authentication that
>a zone is insecure is useless.

I disagree.

If I get an answer from a zone that has no SIG record attached, should I
seek the SIG record?  If I can be reliably (securely) told that the zone
has not signatures, I will accept the answer as it is.  If I am securely
told otherwise, I will ask for a better answer and (perhaps) discard what I
have received.  If I am told nothing, I should be able to identify the
point at which the uncertainty starts, and if I am a problem solver, I know
where to begin.

It is useful to know when to give up hope. ;)

Edward Lewis                                                NAI Labs
Phone: +1 443-259-2352                      Email: lewis@tislabs.com

"Trying is the first step to failure." - Homer Simpson
"No! Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"It takes years of training to know when to do nothing" - Dogbert 1/21/00

Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.

Home | Date list | Subject list