To: iesg@ietf.org
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: "D. J. Bernstein" <djb@cr.yp.to>
Date: 22 Mar 2000 23:25:55 -0000
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Last Call: Root Name Server Operational Requirements to BCP

Robert Elz writes:
> BCP docs usually have
> nothing whatever to do with best, current, or practice, and never did.

According to BCP 1, RFC 1818, by Jon Postel et al., the BCP documents
``describe best current practices for the Internet community.''

I've read several BCPs, and I don't recall any of them trying to deceive
the reader as to what practices were current. The evaluation of ``best''
is often based on amazingly naive criteria, but that's a separate issue.

Anyway, no matter what the history was, and no matter what's been
published before, when you label something as ``current practice,''
you're telling readers that it's current practice. In this case, it
certainly isn't current practice.

---Dan

Home | Date list | Subject list