To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Bruce Campbell <bruce.campbell@apnic.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 16:23:46 +1000 (EST)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: RFC 2182 considered harmful

On 9 Feb 2000, D. J. Bernstein wrote:

djb> Olafur Gudmundsson writes:
djb> > there is nothing wrong with the RFC and it's requirement.
[on small networks with everything on one host]
djb> Are we happy when the network is inaccessible? Of course not. Users
djb> can't see the web pages. Mail delivery is deferred. These are serious
djb> problems---which third-party DNS service does _nothing_ to fix.

urm.  I question the 'Mail delivery is deferred' section, particularly
when a small operation has an extended outage (ie, the owner has gone off
on holidays for a fortnight).

Having mail bounce back with some obscure message about unable to resolve
the hostname after trying continually for the past 7 or so days because
some admin thinks RFC2182 is 'not the best practice' merely reinforces the
'fly-by-night' impression such small sites tend to give out.

If they're running an e-business... oh dear, have they just lost
customers?  Now if only they'd taken some precautions... such as a
third-party DNS server..

I think the point here is that you get what you pay for.

Regards,

--
  Bruce Campbell <bruce.campbell@apnic.net>        My opinions are my own.
                      Systems Administrator