To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <dee3@torque.pothole.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 22:31:22 -0500
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: RFC 2182 considered harmful

Dear Mr. Bernstein,

RFC 2182 is correct.  There are many uses for DNS data, including
those related to network management such as name <-> address
translations in viewing log files or studying "received:" header
lines, MX'ing to alternate servers, and even domain name surveys.
Reasonable efforts should be made to have DNS data available at all
times.

Furthermore, in most cases of a small-business with one domain, one
web server, etc., the business contracts for all of this to be
remotely hosted or even if it is local, the domain registration and
DNS service are bundled into the service package by the ISP which is
derelict in its duty if it does not arrange reasonable backup for DNS
service for all the domains it contracts to support.

Additional servers aren't a point of failure, they are a point of
robustness.

Please stop advocating poor DNS management.

Donald