To: "D. J. Bernstein" <djb@cr.yp.to>, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Olafur Gudmundsson <ogud@tislabs.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 17:51:30 -0500
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: RFC 2182 considered harmful

At 02:58 AM 2/7/00 , D. J. Bernstein wrote:

>A separate DNS server would provide zero benefits. But I've seen people
>claim otherwise and point to RFC 2182. The document is wrong; it should
>be fixed.
>RFC 2182 doesn't limit its requirements to your imaginary situation. It
>says that _all_ zones must always have accessible DNS servers. That's
>simply wrong.

Different sites have different fault tolerance requirements, yours are
not typical, there is nothing wrong with the RFC and it's requirement.

	Olafur
--------
Olafur Gudmundsson - NAI Labs 			(443)-259-2389
The Security Research Division of Network Associates, Inc.
ogud@tislabs.com  Olafur_Gudmundsson@nai.com  Private: ogud@acm.org

Home | Date list | Subject list