To: "D. J. Bernstein" <djb@cr.yp.to>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 09:17:18 -0500
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: RFC 2182 considered harmful

At 12:18 AM -0500 2/4/00, D. J. Bernstein wrote:
>RFC 2182 should be revised to give an accurate statement of the costs
>and benefits of third-party DNS service.

Go ahead, write a document, and submit it.  Whether or not this is picked
up as a work item by any WG, it could still wind up as an informational RFC
through the RFC editor process.

I can't say I'd agree with the problem though, much less the severity you
assign it.  There are folks whose set of name servers each have the same IP
address.  I myself have a few domains whose servers are all on the same
segment.  No one is shutting these folks (and I) down.

I do see a benefit of having a DNS server pointing to my machines even if
my machines are behind a downed link.  I may have keying information or a
certificate stored that allows someone to read my encrypted mail message
warning of an upcoming outage.

Edward Lewis                                                NAI Labs
Phone: +1 443-259-2352                      Email: lewis@tislabs.com

"Trying is the first step to failure." - Homer Simpson
"No! Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"It takes years of training to know when to do nothing" - Dogbert 1/21/00

Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.

Home | Date list | Subject list