CC: dnsop@cafax.se
From: "Eric A. Hall" <ehall@ehsco.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 09:26:25 -0800
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: statistics for record types

> A=169332 NS=5 CNAME=55 SOA=8914 PTR=6427 MX=2875 TXT=19 AAAA=189
> AXFR=31 ANY=374

Interesting that the PTR and MX counters are low. Also interesting that
you have IPv6 queries. What's the usage of this site?

I guess the true answer to what I'm looking for is (as usual) "it
depends on your usage."

I guess a dedicated/predominate Web/SMTP site would generate a
substantial amount of outbound PTR traffic. At the same time, clients
connecting to web/mail servers may or may not result in a lot of PTR
queries, depending on how the server is configured (the logging level
and PTR switches). I'd also expect that a lot of university and home
traffic would have low PTR levels if there was a lot of gaming traffic.

Cricket's observation of low NS queries makes sense and is reflected
here as well.

--
Eric A. Hall                                            ehall@ehsco.com
+1-650-685-0557                                    http://www.ehsco.com