To: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc: dns op wg <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <Harald@Alvestrand.no>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 1999 22:26:37 +0100
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Last WG call for draft-ietf-dnsop-root-opreq-02.txt.

At 09:11 05.12.99 -0800, Randy Bush wrote:

>the document makes the leap of presuming the root server operators are
>competent operations folk.  it mandates that they have an oob channel by
>which they can verify the content of the file.  there are many possible
>and reasonable ways to do this.  mandating which one would be ephemeral
>and unnecessary.

point taken - I guess the concept "out of band channel" is well enough
understood by the operator crowd not to need further clarification, then.

and of course, the decision on this is ultimately taken by the people
responsible for the master root name server, unlike most of the rest of the
doc, where all the root name server operators have to make decisions.

The OOB channel will be what it will be.

                  Harald

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no

Home | Date list | Subject list