To: hardie@equinix.com
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Gunnar Lindberg <lindberg@cdg.chalmers.se>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 17:39:36 +0200 (MET DST)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-lindberg-dnsop-isp-root-server-00.txt

Ted,

Sorry for the long delay, but I had hoped someone else would step in.

Anyway, it seems to me we agree on what can be agreed on, given rather
different proposals. Sometime in the future the WG will make some
decision, I guess.

Finally, a comment on "anycast" that I haven't seen yet (but which
may have been beaten to death before I joined the list). What about:

    "anycast"
    "TCP lookup" (lookup - not AXFR)
    "equal-cost multi-path, per-packet, load sharing"

E.g: at some site they have two equal-cost routes to [198.41.0.4]. We
know it's anycast - routes to *different instances* of [198.41.0.4]
and not two routes to the same host - but the routers don't. Instead
the routers send 50% of the packets one direction and 50% the other.

No big deal for UDP queries that are self contained, but TCP has a
connection and keeps state and 50% TCP packets to each [198.41.0.4]
instance is not likely to work. And, at least for UNIX the choice of
UDP or TCP is set per application, "_res.options |= RES_USEVC", which
is hard enough to handle - what BillGatesWare does is unknown to me.

Am I the only person worried?

	Gunnar

Home | Date list | Subject list