To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Akira Kato <kato@wide.ad.jp>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 09:55:12 +0900
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Is Scope working well?

Mohta san:

> The network operators decide whether to accept or reject advertised
> root based on the AS path and other information.

Oops, I apologize that I missed to read "other information". So one
of the implemetations in which the server selection is performed in
the regular BGP route selection may comply with the draft.

>> I understand the operators of adjacent ASes should have some degree of
>> responsibility on the transit service to/from the root server AS.  The
>> responsibility of the operation of a root server should be on the
>> operators of the root server.

>The recommendation in the draft can be satisfied, for example, by
>administrating both domains by the same ISP with the same set of
>operators.

What I mean is that the model of operation just above can be practical.
However, the draft "requires" it is.

Assume a stuation where a server is attached to an exchange point in
which 60 ISPs are connected and where they peer with the
serverm. Mohta san's requirement can be understood that the operators
of *all* ISPs must have responsibility on the server. I don't think
this is practical and necessary.

-- Akira Kato

Home | Date list | Subject list