To: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
cc: Mark_Andrews@isc.org, hobbes@engin.umich.edu, dnsop@cafax.se
From: marka@isc.org
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 16:49:48 +1000
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Topological Motivation for draft-ohta-root-servers-01.txt?

> Mark;
>
> > 	If there is a root server in France I can see no good
> > 	technical need to have one in Monaco.  Similarly Singapore
> > 	w.r.t. Thialand.
>
> You are trying to create a political problem on how to stop people
> in Monaco have their own root servers.

	No.

> > 	We should be defining the siting of servers on technical
> > 	grounds not politcal ones.
>
> No, we are not defining the siting of servers. That is a pure
> political issue.

	The whole premise of draft is couched in political terms.

	A country is a political unit.  You have made the assertion
	that each country needs at least a root nameserver.  You
	however have not justified that assertion.

	I can't at the moment see the need for Australia to have
	a root nameserver for political reasons.  I can however see
	why it should have several for technical reasons.  This draft
	may actually provide a way to do that without some of the
	detremental effects related to have a root nameserver.

	I would suggest that the motivation be re-couched in technical
	terms related to response time, load and traffic flows and leave
	the geo-policatical reasons for have a root nameserver to one
	side.

> You can say some root server technically desirable. But, you
> can't say it technically forbidden.

	I didn't say it was technically forbidden.

> We are documenting a technical operational guideline, after the
> siting of servers is somehow determined.
>
> >	If the are politcal reasons are
> > 	strong enough they will influence the underlying technolgical
> > 	interconnects enough that the technical solution will match
> > 	the desired political one.
>
> That's what is happening.
>
> 						Masataka Ohta

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@isc.org