To: hobbes@engin.umich.edu (Steve Mattson)
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 99 7:53:16 JST
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Topological Motivation for draft-ohta-root-servers-01.txt?

Steve Mattson;

> Upon reading it, and previous versions of same, I have noticed the
> repeated country-specific references as motivation for the draft.
> However, it appears that the operational changes proposed in the
> draft have very little to do with national borders but instead with
> network topology issues involving adjacent AS's and BGP routing.

It reflects the fact that most of the current root servers are in US
and people in US, seemingly, do not so much feel a lot of root
servers necessary.

> I believe that a reworded motivation section of this draft based solely
> on network topology concerns would allow for a debate centered on the
> issue at hand.

The description explain the motivation. Abstract wording backed up by
no real-world situation it useless.

It is a lot better to remove it totally than make it abstract.

> This would allow the draft to proceed without having to
> address what is "internationally fair" or how to determine an evolving
> weight factor for the default set of root servers which one overrides
> selectively within one's "local" Internet.

What do you mean "local" Internet?

The proposal is for the global Internet.

> At the very least a statement
> could be added to this i-d which specifically declared the determination
> of the default set of root servers, or the default scope of those root
> server addresses not otherwise overridden, as being beyond the scope of
> the draft.

It is determined to be an empty set.

The i-d specifically declares that all the root server addresses can
be overridden.

> Apologies if I've only added to the current confusion,

Don't mind. I certainly hate confusion but love chaos.

							Masataka Ohta

Home | Date list | Subject list