To: Gunnar Lindberg <lindberg@cdg.chalmers.se>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 10:41:05 +1000
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Primary also being secondary

    Date:        Mon, 28 Jun 1999 15:11:57 +0200 (MET DST)
    From:        Gunnar Lindberg <lindberg@cdg.chalmers.se>

  | My 1c is that this is wrong and that the data sent to a secondary,
  | i.e. AXFR, should be the original data from the config file(s), and
  | not be a "copy of a copy".

Yes, it is a bug.    Servers should not be modifying data in a zone
without incrementing the serial number.

The primary server (ns1) which is also a secondary for a sub-domain should
certainly return the answers from the sub-domain when it is queried, those
are more authoritative.   But that answer is coming from the zone which
contains the sub-domain.

When it is asked to transfer the parent zone, it should be transferring that
one, and not a mangling of the parent and child zones.

The example you showed is one case where this happens, there are a few
others as well.

In bind, this has been a long standing bug since day 1, and it is very nice
to hear that bind 9 will (finally) fix it.

kre

Home | Date list | Subject list